Resources for Teaching
- Ability to connect with people in terms of building relationships and collaboration
- A person's culture and life experience impacts their values, the healthy habits they develop, their perceptions of what is wrong and right
- A person's ability to positively impact the world and live with meaning and purpose depends on the ability to empathize and understand others
Empower students to take ownership of their cultural well-being with a skills-based approach. Here are a few ideas for potential lesson topics:
- Analyze how values, perceptions, and understandings are influenced by personal culture and life experiences - Analyzing Influences
- Learn how to access valid information when learning about different cultures and life experiences - Accessing Valid Information
- Examine interpersonal communication skills needed to share personal stories and learn about the culture and life experiences of others - Interpersonal Communication
- Identify and build healthy habits needed to enhance Cultural Health - Practice Health Enhancing Behaviors
- Practice advocating for the well-being of marginalized groups of people - Advocacy
What is Cultural Health?
Cultural Health refers to having a deep awareness of your personal culture and life experiences and understanding how they influence your value system, worldview, and practices; recognizing and respecting the culture and life experiences of others and intentionally taking time to empathize with, understand, and respect other perspectives. Ultimately, it refers to appreciating a diversity of culture and experiences and working with others to enhance personal and community well-being through culturally responsive action.
Skills-Based Health Education
A health education framework focused on mastering vital life skills and understanding essential health concepts for the purpose of empowering students to live healthy lives.
Learn how to design and teach skills-based health with our FREE online workshop.
Free Intro to Health Lesson Plan Bundle
Download five FREE lesson plans to teach students about the dimensions of health, health principles, and the Wellness Wheel!